Los Angeles is known for its heavy traffic, which is potentially dangerous if you’re a cyclist sharing the road.
If you’ve been in an accident with a vehicle, no matter how minor, it’s critical that you protect yourself and leave your legal options open.
Here are six steps you must take when you’ve been hit by a car while riding your bike.
1. Call the police. No matter what, call the police to file an official police report. Without a report of the accident, filing insurance claims and taking legal action will be much more difficult. Avoid talking about who is at fault and let the driver give their statement to an officer instead.
2. Gather information. Getting the driver’s insurance information, license plate number, and contact information is key. Get contact information from any witnesses and ask if they’ll speak to police and write a dated statement right then and there.
3. Take pictures. Pull out your cell phone and take pictures of everything that could possibly be relevant in a personal injury claim: cuts and bruises, your bike, the car, street signs, road hazards, skid marks, and guard rails. Take photos both up close and from a distance, to show both detail and scale.
4. Seek medical attention. When your adrenaline is rushing, it may take a few hours, days, or even weeks for you to realize the extent of your injuries. Even if you think you’re fine, get checked out by a doctor after the accident.
5. Preserve the details. As soon as you’re able, write down everything you remember from the accident, before you forget any small details. If your bike or any other equipment is broken, don’t rush to get it fixed—it could serve as important evidence if you wind up in a personal injury lawsuit.
6. Explore your legal options. If the driver was negligent, you have every right to seek compensation for physical, emotional, and economic injuries. Personal injury lawyers in Los Angeles are available to help you determine the best path to take. Whether you go to court or try to settle, a personal injury lawyer can help you navigate the legal system effectively and get the best possible result.
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, the experienced legal team at Steinberg Injury Lawyers can help you get the fair compensation that you are owed. Call us 24/7 at 800-989-6385 for a free case evaluation.