Los Angeles Triathlon Club
Race Report
Go Back
Club Member: Kate Reiner
Race: NYC Triathlon
Distance: Olympic
Race Date: 07/20/08
Submit Date: 07/20/08

I'm posting this, even though I'm not super thrilled with my time, because it's such a great race that I think it's worth flying 3,000 miles for! Hope you enjoy! Event warmup: There was a mile walk from transition to the swim start, so did that with my mom. Stretched a tiny bit, but not much. (Sorry, RH!) Got in my wetsuit, and went! Swim Comments: I started towards the wall, which didn't get the best current, but also stayed out of the way of most of the swimmers, so that was worth it. What an interesting place for a swim. By the time it was time for my wave, the current had dropped considerably, though the chop wasn't so great. I started swimming, and felt absolutely great. The water was warm, I was swimming well, I felt really confident, etc. After about 800 yards, I felt something slimy, and saw it was pinkish colored. First, (I said out loud) "please don't be a hand, please don't be a hand." Then, my face felt incredibly tingly and painful, and I realized it was a jelly-fish. This happened about twice more. Some people were pulled out because of jelly-fish stings, and pretty much everyone got stung. That was really weird. However, even with that, my swim was still fantastic for me! Swim 27:39 What would you do differently?: Not too much. Navigate better, start more in the current, and get a sleeveless wetsuit, as the water was very, very warm for a long sleeve suit. Also, practice OWS more, to get a lot faster. T1 Comments: So, this transition (and my times) are very confusing, and this is where I kinda lost almost everything. I walked up the (painful) barge, and ran from the swim finish to transition, which was 400 yards, barefoot on asphalt. This was actually really good, right until the end - ran, felt confident and great. Then, I felt a shooting pain in my foot, and couldn't walk. I hobbled over to a table, and saw that a pebble had literally gone through the skin, into my foot. It was horrifically painful, right on the ball of my foot. I asked about 5 volunteers if I could go to the medical tent without getting disqualified, but they didn't know. However, I took my chances, as there was no way I would have been able to run with that thing in my foot. So, the run and hobble of about 100 yards to the medical tent was what was 10:27. (which is where they clocked me leaving transition.) There were plenty of bikes still in transition at this point. After that, there was about 14-17 minutes in the med tent as well as doing the actual transition. They didn't have tweezers (interesting choice!) so they first tried to get it out with a pen, and then they used medical scissors (or kitchen shears, I'm not sure.) So, all together, the transition was a bit less than half an hour, but the additional 17 minutes is reflected in my bike time. Oddly enough, considering the pain, etc., the transition was actually really good - got my shoes, gloves, helmet, eyeglasses on etc., had to walk with the bike, but it still was concise and well done. However, by that time, basically all the bikes were gone. What would you do differently?: Not get a pebble lodged in my foot? It's hard to say, because it was such a bizarre experience. T1 (RECORDED) 10:27, including medical tent actual: approx. 26:27. Bike Comments: Again, this is actually about 14-17 minutes shorter, because I had to enter the transition twice. My bike clock said something like 1:42-3, but I don't remember, and checked after hand wheeling it through transition twice. This was really tough, especially as I felt so discouraged after the injury to my foot, and loosing so much time. It was really hot, etc. However, no excuses, and it was actually a really fine ride! It was my average training pace, which was really good, even though I wanted to go faster than average. What can you do? I did it, I passed some people, got passed by a ton of people, and worked my ass off. Also, my nutrition felt really great - two gels, 1/2 bottle of carbo pro, and camelpak. I kinda want to let go of the camelpak, as it feels like it identifies me as uber beginner. However, besides a slight headache and a lot of tiredness, I felt really great. What would you do differently?: If I decide not to quite a race, than don't quit emotionally. I was so dejected for so much of the ride, that even though I pushed really hard, I was miserable and not present. It was also a slightly oddly organized race, as the young women were before the really fast men, so I got passed all the time, which is kind of depressing. However, it was really my pride (much more than my foot) that was really hurt. It was frustrating, but I really let it get to my head. RECORDED TIME: 1:57:22 ACTUAL TIME (Approx.) 1:42:00 T2 Comments: A really good transition. was all the way at the back of the transition, so this was a 150 walk (wasn't going to run on that foot) changed my shoes, grabbed my stuff, and went. What would you do differently?: Run with the bike, drink while running, figure out how to get off bike gloves without stopping. T2 TIME: 0:3:25 Run Comments: Wow, that is really good time considering. My foot started burning pretty quickly, and the humidity was so intense that I couldn't breathe, so I had to walk. I ran as much as possible on the run, but walked all the water stations, and walked more than I would have liked. My foot didn't even hurt that bad until the end, but when it started, it really started hurting. Around mile 3, it felt like it was burning quite significantly. Sprinted the finish, which was really hard, as the finish was insanely long, as mentioned before. Ran the last mile pretty well. Even though the finish was really long, it was soo cool to see my grandma and aunt there. One of my best friends, as well as my parents, were there also. It was fabulous to hear them yelling. What would you do differently?: Trained more with speed and hills, gotten less frustrated, and not hurt my foot. 1:12:44 Post race Warm down: Medical tent for them to check my foot, (I was crying, and in a lot of pain at this point.) The cut was not big, but was still bleeding after the race. Got my medal, finishers hat, went to find my family, got a bagel. Then, there was the ridiculous adventure of having to get my bike. Thank God for my aunt, who drove me back, and for my best friend, who helped me get all my stuff together with my limping. What limited your ability to perform faster: Obviously my foot, but also my attitude, I really didn't have the fun I usually do, and allowed myself to get really effected by stuff that was so out of my control. Even at the end, I really didn't honor my accomplishment the way I would have liked to, even though I am trying to now. I had a really hard goal, which I knew was way too hard but it was a fantasy. If I subtract the med tent time, (approximate) I basically made my goal, give or take 3-4 minutes. So, that's really great. It's especially amazing that I kept going, as I really wanted to quit after my foot, as it hurt so badly. Event comments: I would say 5, if they had thought of a few more things, like carpeting on the asphalt, educating the volunteers about the rules (such as you won't be disqualified for using the medical tent) and having tweezers in the medical tent. Also, mentioning there were jelly-fish would have been nice. However, the volunteers were spectacular, and it really was the "iron-man treatment" with a finishers hat, med tents, and the quality of volunteers that you get from ironman. It was really cool, although I am debating if I want to do it again next year.

Mission Statement: The LA Tri Club was established to provide a network of information, support services, training & racing activities, friendship and fun for all ages and abilities. The LA Tri Club is one of the largest triathlon clubs in the World with over 1800 members. Check out our Join page for more details on our organization.

Home Members Join Contact Us Privacy Policy
©1999 - 2015 LA Tri Club
Log In
70.3 Sponsors
Coaching Sponsors
Sprint Sponsors